The Westchester Country Club
Location: US - NY - Rye
Rye, NY, US 10580
The goal of the Pastry kitchen is satisfying the varied tastes of all our Members and their Guests from classic desserts to contemporary pastries and fresh baked breads and cookies. The Pastry Chef shall follow the vision and culture of the Club to ensure standards are followed by all Pastry personnel. The position reports directly to the Executive chef.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to execute each essential job function satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions and/or satisfy the productivity, performance or qualification standards for the position.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- The Pastry Chef services many different outlets and departments therefore strong organizational and communication skills are imperative.
- To plan, organize, direct and control all Pastry production for the Club to ensure that the highest quality product is purchased and produced while adhering to Club policies and scheduling demands.
- Responsible for all production of baked goods including but not limited to the production of cookie dough, cakes, a la carte and banquet desserts, breads, wedding cakes, specialty cakes, batters, intricate piping, filigree work and any other pastry items that may be requested.
- Responsible for decorating and plating various pastries and desserts
- Direct interaction with Membership throughout the Club during Club events and most importantly Wedding Tastings.
- Supervises staff, including interviewing prospective employees for the Pastry department, training, coaching, counseling, performance reviews and discipline, to ensure that the smooth operation of all aspects of the department is upheld.
- Communicates with Director of Food and Beverage/Sales and Catering, Executive Chef and Sous Chefs and orders all F&B products and General supplies according to Club needs and specifications.
- Participates in all staff meetings including weekly staff, F&B, and other daily menu meetings.
- Personally checks and ensures appropriate levels of inventories are maintained to minimize waste and maximize ratio turnover.
- Documents requisitions and invoices in inventory system
- Ensures cleanliness of kitchen and that all Servsafe standards are upheld.
- Conducts monthly inventories.
- Performs all functions as directed by Executive Chef
The above list of essential job functions describes the general nature and level of work being performed in this job. It is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, and indeed additional responsibilities may be assigned, as required, by management.
- The Pastry Chef is responsible for producing quality products in an efficient manner for multiple banquet venues and a la carte outlets. The Pastry Chef will be the consummate professional; well versed in all aspects of leading a professional Pastry and Baking production team.
- This position will “set the pace” for all employees in the pastry kitchen by leading by example and displaying great work ethic.
- The ability to lead, teach, train and work with a young staff to ensure production goals are met with an emphasis is on a consistent outcome: great tasting baked goods and pastries with displays that get rave reviews, is essential to this role.
- This position will adhere to all WCC Management Guidelines, Policies, & Procedures (including WCC employee handbook, Culinary Department Guidelines and Mission statement)
- This position entails carrying out all reasonable requests made by the Executive Chef in a professional and timely fashion.
- Work schedule: flexible, up to 60 hours a week, including weekends, early AM shifts and holidays.
JOB QUALIFICATION STANDARDS
The following describes the general qualifications and physical, sensory and mental abilities normally associated with performing the essential functions of this position.
Education and Experience:
- Baking and / or Pastry Degree (Associate or Bachelors degree) required
- A minimum of three years work as a Pastry Chef or Pastry Sous chef preferably in a top private club, resort, star restaurant or hotel setting. A career path marked with stability, accomplishment and a logical progression of title and responsibility in the Pastry field.
- Experience and achieved competencies in both quality banquet and A la carte pastry settings
- A working knowledge of a variety of pastries, desserts and bakery products, including strong display skills.
- Strong experience and talent in cake decorating
- Up to date Food Handlers / Sanitation license, required
- Competition experience in the Art of Pastry preferred
- Recognized as a up and coming culinary Pastry talent in the industry
- Committed to Professional Development and Education
- Member of a Culinary / Pastry Group
- Impeccable references
Knowledge and Skill Requirements/Specialized Courses and/or Training:
Strong knowledge of Baking and Pastry techniques, including practical knowledge of equipment used in Pastry shop.
Able to read labels and understand HACCP and MSDS material training guidelines
A strong command and working knowledge of the Birch Street Cedar Creek Procurement System (or similar system) including the ordering and receiving of specialty items.
- Culinary Ability and Creativity –The Pastry Chef need to be able to bake, which involves attention to detail, knowledge of ingredients and a fair amount of patience. They also need to have artistic ability and creativity to produce pastries and desserts that look as good as they taste. The individual needs to be able to creatively conceptualize wedding cake and specialty cake décor according to a Bride or Member’s desire.
- Customer Service – Must be able to meet with Members and Bride alike to create custom cake orders and custom wedding cakes. This involves everything from the guidance of flavor choices and design choices. Must have strong customer service skills.
- Stamina – The Pastry Chef position requires long hours and heavy lifting often. When needed, the Pastry Chef will assist in the production of baked goods required by the pastry department as well as assist in other production areas of the Club based on Business needs.
Language and Communication Skills:
- Must be able to communicate & interact professionally with members & employees in English language.
- Ability to communicate in Spanish – a plus
Physical, sensory and motor demands:
- Able to move fast and multi-task in a fast paced, high stress / pressure environment (Heat and Action)
- Frequent Standing for extended periods of time.
- Frequent Walking to collect or deliver goods in various kitchens and or reception areas (buffet set ups).
- Regular Lifting up to 50 Lbs.
- Excellent physical fitness, visual acuity and sense of smell to work in the kitchen and bake shop safely.