At BENCHMARK, a global hospitality company the definition of success is as individual as each of the over 10,000 employees worldwide who compose our award-winning teams. Each person brings unique skills, talents, experience, history, and culture to our company. Together, they form an extraordinary mosaic that supports BENCHMARK's very entrepreneurial culture. Each team member's desire for accomplishment is supported by our determination and passion to build successful and rewarding futures.
Banquet Captain will supervise staff, coordinate banquet events assigned and implement property policies and procedures. The Captain will also serve as the frontline representative of the property and contact for banquet functions. They must possess strong customer service skills and exhibit a high degree of professionalism at all times. Due to the cyclical nature of the hospitality industry, employees may be required to work varying schedules to reflect the business needs of the hotel. In addition, attendance at all scheduled training sessions and meetings is required.
Excellent customer service skills.
Pleasant and helpful personality.
High School or GED; college degree preferred
Ability to communicate effectively
Ability to follow directions and lead others.
Availability to work variable hours.
Ability to solve problems.
Ability to work while standing and walking for extended periods.
Ability to handle stress with ease.
1. A true desire to promote and develop harmonious inter-departmental relationship with other departments.
2. Select several tables at random during the function to evaluate food and service. Ensure that food is served at the appropriate temperature, and that the entrée is placed properly on table. For receptions, ensure sufficient food is available and guest needs are met and exceeded.
3. Communicate service needs to chefs and stewards throughout functions.
4. Enter into POS total charges for group functions, and prepare and present checks to group contacts for payment.
5. Ensure banquet rooms, prefunction spaces, and coffee breaks are ready for service.
6. Inspect the cleanliness and presentation of all china, glass, and silver prior to use.
7. Check in with guests to ensure satisfaction.
8. Understand and use event orders to ensure event is properly executed.
9. Set tables according to type of event and service standards. Communicate additional meal requirements, allergies, dietary needs, and special requests to the kitchen. Maintain cleanliness of work areas throughout the day.
10. Provide warm and sincere welcome/farewell for all guests including use of guest name & good eye contact with each guest.
11. Fill out necessary paperwork for function (order stewarding, chaffing dishes, tables and miscellaneous products.
12. Coordinate with kitchen on food pick up.
13. Supervise set up, preparation, service and tear down of banquet function.
14. Constant training of staff.
15. Safety procedures.
16. Conduct pre-meeting.
17. Interact with guests, coordinator, and property conference managers.
18. Give feedback to Banquets Manager.
19. *Check all room sets prior to each event. Meet with the Banquet Chef to confirm quantities of food items and timing of food leaving the kitchen. Check all china, glassware, silverware, and linen items needed for the event. Inform staff of specific needs for buffets and receptions. Check staffing needs for upcoming events. Check inventory needs for all upcoming events.
20. Conduct pre-function meetings to ensure personal hygiene and appearance standards of staff are met. Allocate stations and partners for staff. Review banquet event orders.
21. Communicate with the meeting planner handling the function to ensure all needs have been met and to check for any last minute instructions or changes.
22. Be aware of all upcoming groups and major conventions over upcoming 90 days. Review assigned work functions for the entire day and the next week. Read all assigned banquet menus and ask if specific items are unclear. Complete all daily administrative tasks.
23. Support team to reach common goals. Ensure adherence to quality expectations and standards.
24. Remain alert, courteous and helpful to the guests at all times.
25. Perform all duties in a professional manner and in accordance with company policies.
26. Flexibility to work a varied schedule due to business levels and industry demand.
27. Follow all safety procedures to ensure a safe working environment.
28. Maintain uniform and grooming standards as outlined in employee handbook and departmental training.
29. Ensure storage areas are clean and unobtrusive requiring bending and lifting equipment to appropriate areas, straitening kneeling and bending to store equipment on storage shelves. Must be able to bend and walk to sweep, mop, and vacuum.
30. Provide assistance in other job classifications as determined necessary by an immediate superior.
31. Move, lift, carry, push, pull, and place objects weighing less than or equal to 25 pounds without assistance.
32. Stand, sit, or walk for an extended period of time or for an entire work shift. Move, lift, carry and push. Perform other reasonable job duties as requested by Supervisors.
1. Maintain open communication with management and other employees.
2. Be well organized and efficient.
Indoor and outdoor environments, working for as long as a function lasts. Indoor working conditions include walking on a carpeted areas and vinyl areas. Outdoor working conditions include walking on cement and grass.
Company Hotel Travel Discounts