Cook - DoubleTree by Hilton Pittsburgh Airport
DoubleTree by Hilton Pittsburgh Airport
Location: US - PA - Pittsburgh
The Cook I/Prep Cook must perform all duties to set-up, clean and break down work station, wash and disinfect kitchen area including tables, tools, knives, and equipment, prepare ingredients for cooking, including portioning, chopping, and storing. Wash and peel fresh fruits and vegetables, and prepare and cook food.
Essential Functions include (but are not limited to):
- Prepare ingredients for cooking, including portioning, chopping, and storing food before use.
- Weigh, measure, and mix ingredients according to recipes or personal judgment, using various kitchen utensils and equipment.
- Wash and peel (if required) fresh fruits and vegetables to prepare them for cooking or consumption.
- Prepare and cook food according to recipes.
- Serve food (for example, soup, desserts, sides, entrees) in proper portions onto dishes, plates, mugs, and bowls, ensuring proper plate appearance.
- Ensure proper portion, arrangement, and food garnish to be served to waiters or patrons, according to standards.
- Ensure food storage areas are clean.
- Prepare all potentially hazardous foods at the correct temperature according to the HACCP guidelines.
- Follow appropriate personal hygiene procedures to ensure food served to guests is safe for consumption.
- Follow and ensure compliance with food safety and handling policies and procedures.
- Communicate any assistance needed during busy periods to the Chef to ensure optimum service to guests.
- Ensure the quality of the food items and notify manager if a product does not meet specifications.
- Check and ensure the correctness of the temperature of appliances and food using thermostats and thermometers, including monitoring freezer systems, such as fans, drains, and doors, for proper operation, and report issues or problems to facility management.
- Report maintenance issues immediately to appropriate personnel (i.e. management or maintenance).
- Maintain up-to-date knowledge of company Food Safety Programs within assigned area of responsibility, as well as all local, state, and federal regulations.
- Ability to work under demanding and strenuous situations.
- Monitor the quantity of food that is prepared and the portions that are served in to control food waste and ensure that good food is not thrown away.
- Be able to support any position in the Kitchen that is in need of help.
- Perform any other job duties as assigned.
- Must be able to speak, read, write and understand the primary language(s) used in the workplace (English).
- Must be able to read and write to facilitate the communication process.
- Have thorough knowledge of menus and the preparation required, according to hotel standards.
- Requires good communication skills, both verbal and written.
- Recognize quality standards in fresh vegetables, fish, dairy, and meat products.
- Ability to read prep lists and follow their instructions.
- Ability to physically self-demonstrate culinary techniques, i.e. cutting, cooking principles, plate presentation, safety and sanitation practices.
- Demonstrated ability to multi-task, manage time and work well under pressure.
- Ability to work well in a fast-paced environment.
- High school diploma or equivalent education required.
- Prior hotel/restaurant experience preferred. Previous culinary experience in a fast paced kitchen highly desired.
- Food Service Sanitation License highly desired or ability to obtain and/or maintain any government required licenses, certificates or permits.
Hospitality is a 24/7 industry therefore, candidates should be able to work weekends and holidays as needed.
EOE - M/F/D/V/SO