Director Meetings & Events
Carlson Rezidor Hotel Group
Location: US - MN - Minnetonka
Jan 26, 2018
Position DescriptionThe Director of Meetings & Events manages and delivers all the company’s corporate events, conferences and other programs designed for Carlson Hotels executives, employees, owners, and partners. This includes being directly responsible for leading the event development process and the project management of various aspects of Carlson Hotels largest, most strategic and high visibility event programs, from inception to completion. This role requires a proven track record of bringing creative solutions, passions and powers of engagement to execute a wide range of events. The position requires a savviness for latest trends in meetings and the gravitas to lead events sponsored by the most senior leaders of Carlson Hotels.
- Delivers the highest quality, meaningful and memorable events and program experiences for leadership, employees, owners, and partners that reflects the Carlson Hotels brand and company culture.
- Leads the strategy and execution of all aspects of event management ranging from internal meetings to large annual conferences, including venue selection, audio visual arrangement, and food and beverage, in conjunction with activities, transportation and other operational logistics.
- Communicates and engages with stakeholders, delivers creative recommendations, acts as point of contact for the events and programs that fall within the scope of this role.
- Is accountable for orchestrating activities across all internal and external constituents and works comfortably with leadership to escalate and manage challenges.
- Consults with representatives of client group to ensure alignment on strategy and provides frequent updates on progress, decisions needed, risks, etc.
- Leads the planning process for events with internal business partners; uses planning expertise to ensure event preparation and execution occurs flawlessly; understands internal business partners’ needs and goals.
- Partners with internal marketing team to brand and develop marketing materials for all conferences and other events.
- Establishes project plans and timelines to keep projects on time and on budget.
- Collaborates and communicates across the organization and vendor teams
- Negotiates with and manages agencies, vendors, and venues SOWs effectively and professionally.
- Manages budgets for each event and provides recommendations to business units with regard to event management decisions. Creates and maintains financial event reporting documents for the internal client to include estimates for future budget cycles, logistics budget summaries and submission of comprehensive post-event reporting information.
- Constantly deepens knowledge of target market trends to present options that are ahead of the trend; develops and maintains relationships with current and potential venues and vendors; initiates contract negotiations with event venues and hotels.
- Bachelor’s degree
- 8-10 years of relevant work experience including corporate event planning, trade show experience, conference experience, special event experience.
- Hospitality or travel industry experience.
- Ability to self-start, work independently, problem solve, take initiative, anticipate needs, prioritize, handle multiple projects efficiently and effectively and meet deadlines.
- Strong interpersonal and customer service skills. Demonstrated ability to build and maintain positive relationships.
- Ability to work successfully with all levels of the organization including senior leaders.
- Able to excel in a fast-paced environment where details can change rapidly and maintains professional demeanor and communication in high-stress situations.
- Experience leading event teams, working with vendors, negotiating contacts, and holding partners accountable.
- Demonstrated project management/organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Ability to think creatively and plan strategically.
- Strong organizational skills.
- Strong communication skills, both verbal and written.
- Ability to work a flexible schedule including travel up to 15%.
- Ability to stand for long periods of time.
Visa Requirements: All candidates must be in possession of identification providing authorization to work in the United States as defined in the Immigration Reform and Control Act of 1968 (IRCA). This position does not offer sponsorship of Work Visas.
Applicants who do not already have legal permission to work in the United States will not be considered.