Director of Catering and Conference Management
The Loews Atlanta Hotel is seeking an Director of Catering and Conference Management to join our team. Loews Atlanta Hotel offers 414 supremely comfortable guest rooms, including 44 suites, all of which are luxuriously appointed and are furnished to suit the needs of both families and business travelers. Loews Atlanta Hotel features 40,000+ square feet of versatile indoor function space. For more information about the Loews Atlanta Hotel please visit http://www.loewshotels.com/atlanta-hotel/.
The Director of Catering and Conference Management directs and coordinates the management-related activities of all catering and conference business throughout the hotel. Among its responsibilities are planning, organizing, directing and coordinating all catering and conference operations; developing new menu’s and establishing policies and procedures for delivery of superior food and beverage product/service and events which exceed the guest expectations and hotel standards; selection, hiring, training of all catering and conference management personnel.
- Research the competitive catering environment to define potential sources of Catering business and to determine the strengths and weaknesses of competitors
- Develop annual Catering sales plans to attract specific customer segments
- Personally sell and coordinate the sales efforts of all Catering department staff
- Analyze Catering sales performance and financial results to further refine the hotel’s Catering sales strategy
- Prepare annual department budget and manage department costs, updating budget if operational forecasts change significantly
- Evaluate changes in guest needs, the hotel’s guest mix, and industry and competitive trends to recommend appropriate product/service and operational changes to be made to ensure guest and employee satisfaction, and to maintain market dominance and exceptional financial returns
- Establish/ensure adherence to all department and Loews Hotels guidelines, policies, and procedures
- Direct and assist Conference Managers in setting annual personal objectives and goals
- Evaluate individual employee performance, determining improvement and training needs and requirements for advancement
- Oversee and support the functions of Catering and Conference Managers in the preparation, planning, and servicing of their accounts
- Personally manage all high level VIP group business
- Meet with association executives, meeting planners, and other convention officials to finalize plans concerning meetings, food and beverage functions, and recreational activities
- Provide personal attention to clients from the time group is classified as definite until the bill is paid to ensure total guest satisfaction of group needs.
- Maintain group assignment book to ensure fair and appropriate distribution of groups to Conference Management staff
- Oversee the food and beverage management responsibilities of sales Access Managers
- Participate in the creation of banquet menus
- Distribute Banquet Event Order and group resume information about assigned groups to all appropriate hotel departments to facilitate efficient purchasing, planning, and employee scheduling
- Inform operating departments of any changes, additions, or deletions to assigned groups’ function plans
- Oversee Destination Services Managers as appropriate to property
- Schedule and coordinate pre-convention briefing sessions with assigned groups and appropriate hotel departments to review all details and record any last minute changes
- Check all functions daily, meeting with specifically assigned clients every day
- Be available to clients for any last minute needs
- Greet convention representatives upon their arrival to the hotel
- Ensure that the times and locations of meeting events are posted daily in appropriate areas and on daily event sheets
- Prepare recap information at the end of the meeting or convention, comparing forecasted room pick-ups and meeting/function guarantees with actual figures
- Schedule and coordinate a post-convention briefing between convention representatives and property department heads to critique events and services
- Discuss the group’s plans for future events, encouraging rebookings
- Research, prepare, and monitor yearly Conference Management budget and forecast
- Maintain accuracy of Catering and Conference Management information in Delphi system
- Attend all meetings as appropriate: staff, department, food and beverage, sales, Banquet Event Order, pre-convention, and post-convention
- Ensure that the Catering and Conference Management department builds good relationships with other hotel departments, employees, and outside vendors and agencies.
- Prepares weekly schedules
- Responsible for accurate recording and submittal of payroll information
- May be required to work varying schedules to reflect business needs of the hotel
- Other duties as assigned
- Ability to interact effectively with all levels of hotel staff and management
- Ability to excel in a fast-paced environment
- Extensive knowledge of all hotel departments
- Excellent management, leadership, organizational and communication skills
Education: Bachelor’s degree in Hospitality Management, Food Service Management, Culinary Arts or equivalent
Experience: 5 to 7 years in Catering and Conference Services in a large, up-scale, high volume, multi-outlet hotel environment with 3 years as a Director
Loews Hotels is a vibrant collection of one-of-a-kind hotels with distinct personalities. Each hotel and resort offers high-quality accommodations, impressive surroundings, personalized service, and thoughtful amenities for a luxurious guest experience. As a company we care about our guests, our community and our team members.
Headquartered in New York City, Loews Hotels manages properties in most major markets in the U.S. and Canada. Each property goes beyond Four Diamond standards to provide guests with a supremely comfortable, uniquely local travel experience at a great value. Loews Hotels boast prime locations in the cities of New York, Washington DC, Denver, Los Angeles, Nashville, Philadelphia, Annapolis, Montreal, and Quebec City, as well as world-renowned vacation destinations such as Miami's South Beach, Universal Orlando, New Orleans, Tucson, and California's Coronado Island. Loews has established some of the industry's most innovative and successful travel programs, including Loews Loves Kids for families and Loews Loves Pets for discerning animals on the road.
At Loews Hotels, our team members' commitment to our guests and dedication to our communities is cherished. We seek genuine individuals who are able to engage and delight our guests by providing Four Diamond AND MORE service. We invest in training and development opportunities for all team members, so they may grow and develop as individuals. We embrace diversity at our core and offer the opportunity for all team members to reach their potential as professionals. At Loews Hotels, we seek to create a dynamic culture that makes work interesting, challenging, fulfilling and fun.
As part of our commitment to our team members, Loews Hotels is proud to offer competitive compensation and benefit plans tailored to each marketplace. These include:
- Pay that meets or exceeds area standards
- Retirement (401-K) and incentive plans
- Medical and dental coverage
- Short and long-term disability
- Life insurance
- Holiday and vacation pay
- Team member assistance plans
- Career development programs
- Tuition reimbursement programs
Loews Hotels is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to a diverse work culture, M/F/D/V