Location: CA - AB - Calgary
Banquet captains are supervisors handling events in our Banquet and Catering Department. This role ensures tables are decorated correctly, the food is presented well, and service goes off without a hitch. Banquet captains are in charge of floor staff, and make sure that they are in uniform and serving the clients in a speedy and friendly manner. They are the liaison to the chefs and cooking staff in the back, letting them know what food needs to be replenished.
Banquet captains work directly with the event coordinators or hosts, and are in charge of addressing and fixing any questions or concerns that come up before or during service. After service, banquet captains often give the event coordinator or host the bill of services.
- Full event supervision and execution.
- Client Management - meetings, contracts, communication, billing.
- Coaching and leadership of banquet team.
- Full room set-ups, including A.V. and bar.
- Room check and refreshing Food & Beverage, Full reception service.
- Liquor Orders and full banquet bar management.
- Scheduling and managing labour costs.
- Cashouts and closing duties.
- Administration - Invoicing and A/R, Contracts, Customer Service (email and phone inquiries).
- Colleague/Morale building.
QUALIFICATIONS & EXPERIENCE
- Customer-Service: Banquet managers have to interact with customers. Being friendly and courteous is needed.
- Attention to Detail: Banquet captains have to keep their eyes on a lot of elements: food standards, costs, safety, etc.
- Leadership: Banquet captains must be leaders, rallying their team during big events, resolving conflicts and getting the job done.
- Management Skills: Banquet captains not only deal with food, they also have to deal with costs, pricing, creating work schedules and more.
- Problem-Solving Skills: Dealing with employee conflict, irate customers and wrong orders is part of a banquet captain's job. Being able to come up with a solution quickly is a needed skill.
- Speaking & Communication Skills: Banquet captains need to accurately and easily communicate standards and cooking methods to staff, give orders and speak with customers clearly.
- Stamina: Banquet captains can expect long days around hot cooking elements, much of it on their feet.
OTHER KEY ATTRIBUTES
The ideal candidate for this position is a hospitality professional with banquet experience who can:
- Earn the respect of their team.
- Create a positive working environment and ongoing positive feedback to colleagues.
- Lead by example.
- Be enthusiastic and inspiring
- Problem solve and stay positive.